Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving 2009

My original plan for Thanksgiving was to do nothing. That's right, sit at home all morning, head over to my Godsons to bum some food and watch the game, help clean up a bit and then head back and spend the rest of the weekend doing NOTHING! I have plenty of homework to do, TV to watch, sleep to catch up on and exercise I'm sure I could use here and there. But, my poor honey had to work for Thanksgiving, leaving him alone :( and the drama in my family, well it never seems to fail. Sad to say, this will probably be the last Thanksgiving with my Grandpa. I love him dearly and will always have him near, but its looking to be about that time and all we can do as a family is hold strong and pray for a smooth transition. I do pray every day that his hurt and his pain is taken from him, that he can see his family near him and feel our love beside him. As hard as this is on us, I can't even begin to imagine how hard this must be on him. My uncles have also been ill lately, one being hospitalized over the past week. (My grandpa is living with him so he can take care of him, but with him being ill, my poor aunt has her hands full!) So, I headed up to the white mountains for the long extended weekend, mainly to be moral support and bring some cheer. Honestly, I'm not good for much more than that! :) It was all going to work out because Brandon and I were going to get to spend our first Thanksgiving dinner together.

Last year, we spent it with his parents. I remember it clearly because the day before I had my wisdom teeth pulled out. So his mom made me Lasagna. :) This year was supposed to be with my parents, but he had to work, which is part of his job and we accept that, so my family went to Kristina's and for the first time for any holiday it was going to be just our little family, Brandon, Myself, Mater and His roommate Derek. :)

Since the original plans were: my hands being to be tied in Show Low with family most of the day, and Brandon being at work, Derek was going to stay at home and cook dinner.

-I must cut in and add that strange enough I added a fire extinguisher on my list of things to buy for my new home. I had to do a home inspection at work and the thought crossed my mind, every home needs a fire extinguisher…just incase-

Any back to our first thanks giving. Wednesday, we found out Derek was going to have to work half of the day. That was ok, with Brandon and Derek at work, I had to stay nearby to take care of the Puppy (he had a really hard time adjusting to the cold and the backyard and his new friends. Derek still wanted to cook, and well I was pretty much ok with that. (By the way ladies, Derek is single and makes a great housewife!) Brandon woke up early, made a fire and hot chocolate and we watched the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade and put together our Christmas cards. Then off to work her went. And I waited and I waited…..around 530 Brandon came home. Derek had text him and said that he wasn’t going to make it home for dinner. L A little frustrating that it was last minute because I could have started dinner, then again it was a blessing in disguise.

Since is was just the three off us, we were going to cook a turkey loin rather than a whole turkey. Brandon and I threw it in the oven, he started chopping the sweet potatoes while I put together the stuffing and green bean casserole. It was nice to have a Thanksgiving just the three of us (Bran, Mater and I….That is until an electrical fire started in the oven. Luckily we were in the kitchen and caught it quickly. I was screaming at him, “Do something.” Of course all he did was turn off the oven and stare at it for a while. “What are you doing Brandon! Stop looking and it and do something.” The metal was hot, sparks were flying and he nonchalantly walks to his closet like nothing is happening saying, “Babe, What do you want me to do about it?” “OH MY! YOU’RE A FIREFIGHTER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!” lol. Apparently, the electrical breaker is located in his closet, he just wasn’t as worked up as I was. And hey, it worked! He flipped the breaker off and poof the fire was gone! Augh, I was so scared that my puppy and I were a gonner’ and our turkey was ruined!

So, Plan B. Grilled turkey. By now Brandon was thinking we should just warm up some frozen foods and call it a night, but I was not discouraged! Who says you can’t make grilled turkey and microwave sweet potatoes, rolls and green been casserole. The stove-top was still working as well so the stuffing and mashed potatoes were good to go! Ten minutes into it, all going as planned…. Brandon comes inside to inform me that he was out of out of propane. HAHAHAHA.

PLAN C…Cut the Turkey so it fits in a frying plan and make room on the stove! :) By now Brandon was beyond frustrated. I couldn’t help but giggle at how cute he looked. I mean honestly, who’s first Thanksgiving doesn’t turn out this way. And I must say we should always cook out turkeys that way, bake 10 min, grill 10 min, fry 10 min. It was full of flavor and juicy!!! :) And to be honest, the microwave sides weren’t perfect, but they weren’t all that bad either!

So, Thanksgiving wasn’t a complete disaster…. (the cardinals got their butts spanked :( but my cowboys won!!!). And I got to spend it with Bran. That really is all that matters, now I look forward to Christmas which will be much better, our first Holiday in our first home! :)

1 comment:

Aunt Tiff said...

I love the picture of you and Brandon. I haven't seen him in FOREVER!! He is still as cute now as he was back in the day! Tell him I said hello! If he remembers me. Sorry your turkey day didn't go so well:) Tell your parents I said hello too!

Blog Archive